Sunday, June 19, 2005

Wow I wish i would have found this sooner

I am up rather early this morning (I will explain more on that later). Anyways, since i am up so early I decided to kind of see what was out there in Blog world. I started reading posts of Mustang 23's that i hadn't read yet (I haven't really had time to just sit and read anyone's blog in a couple of days). And I came across a really nice post about a female soldier recieving a Silver Star.

So reading on, I found out that someone had actually been at the ceremony and had provided pictures. So i went over to Argghhh! and read what he had to say about the ceremony and everything behind why she recieved the Silver Star.

Then I head over to a link that I found on Mustang 23's site that lead me to the DefenseLINK News on the award. Now the Department of Defense News site is wonderful. I absolutly love going here and seeing what i can find out about various happenings in the war and just other interesting news in general.

I love reading stories about nice things that happen over in Iraq, even if those nice things come out of something not so nice. It is nice that our soldiers are getting recognized for the work that they do. It is a tough job. I mean you are away from your family from an indefinate amount of time. You encounter things that would make a civilan go insane. Not to mention the physical aspect of the whole thing. I know i couldn't carry around 80+ lbs of gear around in the hot sun all day, go on a couple hours of sleep a night, all this while possibly missing a couple meals a day because you are out on a mission and didn't have time to eat. That just physically drains your body. Plus not to mention the fact of going without a shower for a couple of days or more. God, i don't think i would be able to handle that. Hence the reason why i didn't join the army like my sister wanted me to. She tells me stories about some of the stuff that she's been through (well the stuff she is allowed to tell me) and i just think "man, if that were me, i would be in the nut house by the time i got home." But hey, that is what makes a soldier different from the rest of us. They are willing to endure those harse conditions, with very little complaining. To me they are the best role model a person can have. I am completely honored to know a couple of people who are serving, or did serve, in the military. They are just truley amazing people. I am not just saying that because my sister is serving, i truely mean that.

Anyways, back to the reason for this post.....

Why i found this story so amazing is because this is the first time that the Silver Star has been awarded to a woman sldier since World War II. Now that just amazes me!! With all the females out there serving in the military you would think that they would have awarded one of these to female soldier before this. Way to go girl!! You rock!

According to DefenseLINK News. Sgt. Leigh Ann Hester
was shadowing a supply convoy March 20 when anti-Iraqi fighters ambushed the convoy. The squad moved to the side of the road, flanking the insurgents and cutting off their escape route.
and then they did some damage! Man! That is awesome for more than one reason. For one, this woman is part of a Military Police Company. That just rocks! If I were to ever join the military (notice i said IF not when) that is what i would want to do. So kudos to her for actually doing it! And two, this girl kicked some major butt! Along with the rest of her team, of course. That is just amazing!

I should also mention at this time that Staff Sgt. Timothy Nein and Spc. Jason Mike also recieved the Silver Star for Valor. Congrats to all of them!

That is just awesome! I don't know what else to say about it! It is good to see our female soldiers getting the recognition that they deserve. According to Sgt. Leigh Ann Hester

It doesn't have anything to do with being a female. It's about the duties I performed that day as a soldier.


Your training kicks in and the soldier kicks in. It's your life or theirs. ... You've got a job to do -- protecting yourself and your fellow comrades.


Very well said, very well said! Keep up the good work!